Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Another adventure

Apparently this is the real day that marks my workavessary with Al-Ameen. What a year!! I have learnt so much in the span of twelve months; I think I deserve a pat for myself. *pat pat! haha! Dr. Subra once said why not pat yourself once in a while; no one's gonna do it for you anyway :)

Anyway this was not my first trip to the printer, but I never got to walk around the working areas, and I was given permission to ask as many questions as I like. yes!! As a self-proclaimed nerd/bookworm I was excited to see how a book is produced. Che Mazlan (my boss) and Iman (artist) couldn't erm...share my excitement because all this stuff is yesterday's news for them.

So here is a non-complete step by step of how a book is born :)

After I (the gedik editor) approved of the ozalid/sample print from printer, they will prepare to burn the book's softcopy into plates. A plate is those metal thing Stephanie is holding. One plate can contain from 4 to 16 pages from a book, which later will be folded and cut.

Plate with text and images is being cooled in a dark room.

The plates are put in this massive printer-ready to be printed. A full colour page will go through four printing stages to complete all the colour mixing. I tried to follow the paper being printed but it was too fast.like bham, done!


This pakcik is the colour engineer. Making sure the correct amount of colours are put. His job involves pushing loads of buttons and key-ing in the right number of cat/paint. Mencorakkan kain putih- literally :)

We are so ready to be non-white, said the papers.


to be continued after another trip next week insyAllah









No comments:

Post a Comment